WRC- Frequently Asked Questions
Women's Rock Camp
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Was WRC formerly known as Ladies Rock Camp?
A: Yup, from 2009 to 2012. We are now Women's Rock Camp or WRC.
Q: How much can I learn in one weekend starting from zero?
A: Check out RAD WRC BANDS to see how much you can learn in a weekend!
Q: What did past participants have to say about instrument instruction at WRC?
• "Guitar - Was totally awesome, a miracle to learn so much so quickly. Nice to be able to request things to learn too."
• "I liked how the instructor catered to different learning styles (visual, audio, kinesthetic, etc)."
• "I thought the drum instruction was a great introduction to the fundamentals. And Carey and Anna did a great job - very patient with us, gave us enough time to get the hang of stuff and also showed us lots of variations that weren't too hard to understand, at least for beginners."
• "Bass class was awesome! Kyle is really a phenomenal instructor. She was clear, direct, and engaging. I especially love her positive and humorous attitude.....and appreciate her ability to connect with our beginning skill levels, but still make it a fun and challenging class."
Q: If friends sign up together, can they be in the same band?
A: In most cases, yes. We just need to keep an eye on the instrumentation (so your band doesn’t have three drummers, etc) Please let us know if you’re hoping to be in a band with friends.
Q: If a whole band signs up together, can they get matched (stay together) as a band at WRC?
A: Yes, WRC is a great opportunity for bands to have fun and develop skills together. In addition to instrument instruction and songwriting instruction, your band will have the chance to work with a band coach, connect with other women musicians, learn some music herstory, and much more.
Q: I have an important and unavoidable commitment during WRC - is it okay to miss part of a day?
A: Of course it's not ideal to miss part of a day, but it's fine. Be sure to check in with Gabby, so that we can figure out what sessions you will miss, in case there's any handouts or anything that we'll want to let you know before the next day.
Q: Do you offer financial aid for Women Rock Camp participants?
A: We offer limited financial aid because Women's Rock Camp is a fundraiser for our youth programs. Over 50% of our youth participants receive full or partial financial aid, and no one is ever turned away for lack of funds. We must ensure that we raise at least $12,000 for our youth programs through WRC.
If you need help raising money for WRC tuition, you can set up a fundraising page here --> WRC fundraising page.
Q: How do I confirm my WRC spot, and what are my tuition payment options?
A: Tuition for Women's Rock Camp is sliding scale $300 to $500. Each participant's contribution goes directly into our financial aid fund. To confirm/hold your WRC spot:
Before April 7: Please make a payment towards your full tuition within two weeks of your application. If you are unable to pay your full tuition at once, you may pay in installments:
• Installment plan: Maximum of 3 installments. Each installment should be $100 or more. You must pay at least $200 by April 1 to continue holding your spot.
• If you'd like to pay in installments, please contact Gabby and let her know your plan!
After April 7:
Please pay your full tuition as soon as possible since WRC is fast approaching! You will receive an email from the WRC Coordinator with more details.
Q: What is the WRC refund/cancellation policy?
A: If you need to cancel your enrollment in WRC, please call 510.267.1808 or email Gabby as soon as possible. Should you need to cancel your enrollment prior to April 5, we will charge a $25 processing fee. From April 5-19, partial (50%) refunds can be given (minus a $25 processing fee). Beginning April 20, 2013, tuition cannot be refunded.
Q: Do I need to pack a lunch?
A: All meals will be provided. Fri- Lunch, dinner. | Sat- Breakfast, lunch, dinner. | Sun- Breakfast, lunch. We also provide snacks, coffee and tea. We will review all dietary requests and restrictions as indicated on your application forms.
Q: Will there be a waiting list if the program fills up?
Q: Is the program site wheelchair accessible?
Q: What about parking and transportation?
• Public Transportation: The 12th St. BART Station is 6 blocks away from the Malonga Center. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop within a few blocks. For more information on public transportation, visit http://www.transit.511.org.
• CAR: We will organize a carpool list. There is a daytime parking lot across from the Malonga Center that charges $6.50 in cash. Street parking has a two hour time limit and please beware that parking enforcement is FIERCE in the area.
Q: I live in the area and am interested in hosting a camper from out of town. How do I sign up?
A: There are a few WRC participants who do not live in the area, and would like to stay with a host. If you are interested in hosting a fellow camper, please contact Gabby.
Q: I’m from out of the area. What are my options for lodging in Oakland?
A: There are various options for places to stay, including: staying with another WRC camper or BAGRC volunteer; staying in a local hotel/motel/hostel (could be shared with another out-of-town WRC camper; or checking AirBnB or http://www.couchsurfing.org. You can check out reviews for local hotels/hostels on sites like lonelyplanet.com, tripadvisor.com, etc. Some nearby local hotels include:
• Clarion Hotel Downtown Oakland City Center. About 3 blocks from WRC site.
• Oakland Marriott Civic Center. About 7 blocks from WRC site.
• The Washington Inn About 9 blocks from WRC site.
• The Courtyard Marriot Oakland Downtown
Q: My question is not on this list, what should I do?
A: Please call 510.267.1808 or email Gabby for any other questions!
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is a nonprofit dedicated to empowering girls through music, promoting an environment that fosters self-confidence, creativity and collaboration.
Send all mail to:
PO Box 72213
Oakland, CA 94612
610 16th St, Suite 402
Oakland, CA 94612
Camp cell (to reach us at a program): (510) 394-8647
Office: (510) 267-1808
Girls Rock After School Program:
Malonga Casquelourd Center for the Arts, 1428 Alice St. (no mail, please)
Oakland School for the Arts, 530 18th St (no mail, please)