Summer Camp 2014
Our summer camp is a week-long program for girls ages 8-18. Campers attend instrument lessons, form a band, collaboratively write an original song, participate in daily music and empowerment-related workshops, and perform with their band at a live showcase at the end of the week.
SUMMER 2015 DATES
Session 1: June 15th -19th // Showcase June 20th
Session 2: July 6th - July 10th // Showcase July 11th
Session 3: July 20th - July 24th // Showcase July 25th
APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2015 WILL BE AVAILABLE IN EARLY JANUARY.
Camp will be held at Oakland School for the Arts at 530 18th Street in Downtown Oakland. Camp runs Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm, and Saturday from 2-5pm. See detailed schedule below.
Showcases will take place at the New Parish, 579 18th St, Oakland, on Saturday from 2-5pm. Showcases are open to the public and all campers will participate.
WHO MAY APPLY FOR CAMP
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is open to self-identified girls and trans youth aged 8-18. No music experience necessary! Enrollment is limited to 80 campers; registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Tuition is $0-$450 sliding scale, with no one turned away for lack of funds. Full and partial financial aid is readily available. If you plan on applying for financial aid, please fill in the financial aid application in addition to the camper application so that we can determine your tuition amount.
Camp will be held at Oakland School for the Arts at 530 18th St in downtown Oakland. Showcases will take place at The New Parish in downtown Oakland.
- Instrument instruction: Campers sign up to learn bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, or vocals, and attend daily two-hour lessons in groups of 3-5 students. No musical experience is required and campers are grouped by experience level. We provide instruments for everyone (but campers are welcome to bring their own guitar or bass).
- Band practice: Campers form bands with their peers on the first day of camp, and work together to collaboratively write an original song. Each band works with a female mentor (their "band manager") who provides guidance, encouragement and technical support throughout the songwriting process.
- Workshops: Campers attend a different workshop each day, all geared toward self-expression and building confidence, while challenging gender stereotypes and addressing discrimination. Workshops include Music Herstory, Zine & Comic Making, Screenprinting, Image & Identity, Healthy Relationships, Video-making, Songwriting, How to Book a Show, Breakdancing, Self-Defense, Alternative Instruments and more.
- Lunchtime Performances: Each day at lunch we invite a band or performer to play for the campers and talk afterward about their experience as musicians. In order to expose campers to new types of music and different performance styles, we invite musicians from a variety genres.
- Showcase: On Saturday afternoon, each band performs its original song at a live showcase, attended by 300-400 friends, family and adoring fans.
8:30-9:00: Camper Arrival & Check-in (Arrive at 8:00 on Monday for initial check-in)
9:00-9:30: Morning Assembly
9:30-11:30: Instrument Instruction
11:30-12:30: Lunch & Live Performance
12:30-2:30: Loud Band Practice
2:30-3:00: Quiet Band Practice & Snack
4:30-5:00: Afternoon Assembly/Open Mic/Presentation (open to friends & family!)
How to apply
1. Fill out the online application or contact us to apply by phone. You'll hear back from us within two weeks of submitting your application.
2. Send your camper's Express Yourself piece: We want to know who you are and why you want to attend our Girls Rock Camp. The Express Yourself piece can be in any format you choose, such as a letter, story, drawing, painting, song, video, collage, etc. The purpose of the piece is to get to know our prospective campers and find out why they're excited to come to camp. Paper pieces should be no more than 8.5"x11" and mailed to us; digital piece emailed info[at]bayareagirlsrockcamp[dot]org.
3. Once your application is processed, you will recieve instructions on how to submit your tuition payment via check, money order or Paypal.
- We use a rolling application process, enrollment is first-come, first-served. Once we process your application, a spot is reserved for your camper. However, an instrument is not assigned until we receive both the Express Yourself piece and a tuition payment.
- We do not assign bands ahead of time before the camp session. On the first day of camp, we have Band Formation activities that help inform the band assignments, and we take many different factors into account when forming the bands. If your camper has a friend at camp that she would like to be in a band with, she can indicate that on her Band Formation activity sheet on the first day.
Interested in volunteering at summer camp? Find out more on our volunteer page.
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is a nonprofit dedicated to empowering girls through music, promoting an environment that fosters self-confidence, creativity and collaboration.