Summer Camp 2014
Our summer camp is a week-long program for girls ages 8-18. Campers attend instrument lessons, form a band, collaboratively write an original song, participate in daily music and empowerment-related workshops, and perform with their band at a live showcase at the end of the week.
SUMMER 2014 DATES
Session 1: June 16th - 20th // Showcase June 21st
Session 2: July 7th - July 11th // Showcase July 12th
Session 3: July 21st - July 25th // Showcase July 26th
Camp will be held at Oakland School for the Arts in Downtown Oakland. Camp runs Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm, and Saturday from 2-5pm. Showcases will take place at the New Parish in downtown Oakland. Showcases take place on Saturday afternoon from 2-5pm, and all campers will participate in the showcase.
WHO MAY APPLY FOR CAMP
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is open to self-identified girls and trans youth aged 8-18. No music experience necessary! Enrollment is limited to 80 campers; registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Tuition is $0-$450 sliding scale, with no one turned away for lack of funds. Full and partial financial aid is readily available. If you plan on applying for financial aid, please fill in the financial aid application in addition to the camper application so that we can determine your tuition amount.
If you have any questions or problems filling out the application forms below, please give us a call at (510) 267-1808 or email email@example.com
Camp will be held at Oakland School for the Arts in downtown Oakland. Showcases will take place at The New Parish in downtown Oakland.
Step 1: ALL CAMPERS FILL IN --> CAMPER APPLICATION 2014
Step 2: IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID, IN ADDITION, FILL IN --> FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION
- Instrument instruction: Campers sign up to learn bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, or vocals, and attend daily two-hour lessons in groups of 3-5 students. No musical experience is required and campers are grouped by experience level. We provide instruments for everyone (but campers are welcome to bring their own guitar or bass).
- Band practice: Campers form bands with their peers on the first day of camp, and work together to collaboratively write an original song. Each band works with a female mentor (their "band manager") who provides guidance, encouragement and technical support throughout the songwriting process.
- Workshops: Campers attend a different workshop each day, all geared toward self-expression and building confidence, while challenging gender stereotypes and addressing discrimination. Workshops include Music Herstory, Zine & Comic Making, Screenprinting, Image & Identity, Healthy Relationships, Video-making, Songwriting, How to Book a Show, Breakdancing, Self-Defense, Alternative Instruments and more.
- Lunchtime Performances: Each day at lunch we invite a band or performer to play for the campers and talk afterward about their experience as musicians. In order to expose campers to new types of music and different performance styles, we invite musicians from a variety genres.
- Showcase: On Saturday afternoon, each band performs its original song at a live showcase, attended by 300-400 friends, family and adoring fans.
8:30-9:00: Camper Arrival & Check-in
9:00-9:30: Morning Assembly
9:30-11:30: Instrument Instruction
11:30-12:30: Lunch & Live Performance
12:30-2:30: Loud Band Practice
2:30-3:00: Quiet Band Practice & Snack
4:30-5:00: Afternoon Assembly/Presentation
Tuition: Full tuition for a session of camp is $450. We offer full and partial financial aid upon request, and no one is turned away for lack of funds.
How to apply
1. Fill out the online application or contact us to apply by phone. You'll hear back from us within two weeks of submitting your application.
2. Send your camper's Express Yourself piece: We want to know who you are and why you want to attend our Girls Rock Camp. The Express Yourself piece can be in any format you choose, such as a letter, story, drawing, painting, song, video, collage, etc. The purpose of the piece is to get to know our prospective campers and find out why they're excited to come to camp. Paper pieces should be no more than 8.5"x11" and mailed to us; digital piece emailed gabby[at]bayareagirlsrockcamp[dot]org.
3. Once your application is processed, you will receieve instructions on how to submit your tuition payment via check, money order or Paypal.
- We use a rolling application process, enrollment is first-come, first-served. Once we process your application, a spot is reserved for your camper. However, an instrument is not assigned until we receive both the Express Yourself piece and a tuition payment.
- We do not assign bands ahead of time before the camp session. On the first day of camp, we have Band Formation activities that help inform the band assignments, and we take many different factors into account when forming the bands. If your camper has a friend at camp that she would like to be in a band with, she can indicate that on her Band Formation activity sheet on the first day.
Interested in volunteering at summer camp? Find out more on our volunteer page.
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is a nonprofit dedicated to empowering girls through music, promoting an environment that fosters self-confidence, creativity and collaboration.