Women's Rock Camp
Wish that Girls Rock Camp existed when you were a kid? It's not too late! Women's Rock Camp is a musical adventure for women ages 19 and up. Campers attend an instrument lesson, form bands, write songs together, participate in empowering workshops, and perform at a showcase for adoring fans.
Not only is Women's Rock Camp a thrilling and fun experience - all proceeds support our youth programs. At Bay Area Girls Rock Camp, it is our mission is to be accessible to all girls regardless of their families’ financial situation. We offer full and partial financial aid for all of our youth programs with no one turned away for lack of funds. At Women's Rock Camp, you are empowering the next generation while empowering and celebrating your peers.
WRC is for all women age 19 to infinity years old. NO MUSICAL EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY, and all skill levels are welcome. WRC is a women centered space that is welcoming to the participation of all trans and non-binary people. We provide meals and instruments for the day, so all you have to do is show up.
- We are no longer accepting applications for the 2015 Women's Rock Camp Sampler but we'll see you in 2016!
WHAT DO PAST PARTICIPANTS SAY ABOUT WOMEN'S ROCK CAMP?
• "...Rock Camp was an all-around great experience and I'd do it again in a heartbeat."
• "Super fun. The whole weekend was such an amazing rockin' time."
• "I have attended many workshops and inspiring retreats, and I can fully say this was the best one of them all. Thank you so much for working so hard on this...you are appreciated."
• "Wonderful staff and volunteers! Everyone was always in high spirits, very motivational, supportive, positive, encouraging, and loving all in one."
• Instrument instruction: Campers sign up to learn bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, or vocals, and attend lessons in groups of 3-6 students. No musical experience is required and campers are grouped by experience level. We provide instruments for everyone (but campers are welcome to bring their own guitar or bass).
• Band practice: Campers form bands and collaborate to write an original song. Each band works with a female mentor (their "band manager") who provides guidance, encouragement and technical support throughout the songwriting process.
• Workshops like Songwriting, Self-Defense, Music Herstory and more!
• Showcase: On Sunday afternoon, each band performs its original song in an open mic! Friends and family are welcome to attend and perform!
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT BAY AREA GIRLS ROCK CAMP
• Interested in volunteering at Women's Rock Camp? Find out more on our volunteer page.
SHOUT OUT! YOU ROCK!
2013: Women's Rock Camp wins "Best Rock 'n' Roll Fastasy Camp." Full article here.
Check out this great article about WRC 2013: "A Woman's World" by Kathleen Richards from the East Bay Express.
"Women Can Rock For a Cause" - April 2013 | Elliot Owen, The Bay Area Reporter
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is a nonprofit dedicated to empowering girls through music, promoting an environment that fosters self-confidence, creativity and collaboration.
Send all mail to:
PO Box 72213
Oakland, CA 94612
610 16th St, Suite 402
Oakland, CA 94612
Camp cell (to reach us at a program): (510) 394-8647
Office: (510) 267-1808
Girls Rock After School Program:
Malonga Casquelourd Center for the Arts, 1428 Alice St. (no mail, please)
Oakland School for the Arts, 530 18th St (no mail, please)