Women's Rock Camp 2013
Wish that Girls Rock Camp existed when you were a kid? It's not too late! Women's Rock Camp is a 3-day musical adventure for women ages 19 and up. Campers attend instrument lessons, form bands, write songs together, participate in empowering workshops, and perform at a live showcase – all in one weekend. (In previous years, WRC has been known as Ladies Rock Camp or LRC).
WOMEN'S ROCK CAMP 2013 RULED!!!!
Check out this great article about WRC 2013: "A Woman's World" by Kathleen Richards from the East Bay Express. Check back for songs and video footage of our performance soon!
Mark your calendars now! WRC 2014 will take place the first weekend of MAY 2014. Applications will be online in January 2014.
Not only is Women's Rock Camp a thrilling and fun experience - all proceeds support our youth programs.
WRC is for all women age 19 to infinity years old. NO MUSICAL EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY, and all skill levels are welcome. Bay Area Girls Rock Camp welcomes campers who identify as female, trans, and gender non-conforming. We provide meals and instruments for the entire weekend, so all you have to do is show up. Check out last year's WRC BANDS to see how much you can learn in a weekend.
- Tuition for Women's Rock Camp is on a sliding scale from $300 to $500. Each participant's contribution supports our youth programs.
- Tuition for WRC is sliding scale $300 to $500. Just like our youth programs, we want everyone to be able to participate! If you cannot afford the fee but want to attend, you can opt to raise money through pledges from family and friends. Click on this WRC FUNDRAISING SITE to set up your own fundraising page! We want everyone to be able to attend WRC.
- We have limited partial and fully sponsored spots and community spots available. Contact Program and Outreach Coordinator Gabby Miller to talk over your options.
Our online applications for WRC 2014 will launch in January 2014.
WHAT DO PAST PARTICIPANTS SAY ABOUT WOMEN'S ROCK CAMP?
• ...Rock Camp was an all-around great experience and I'd do it again in a heartbeat."
• "Super fun. The whole weekend was such an amazing rockin' time."
• "I have attended many workshops and inspiring retreats, and I can fully say this was the best one of them all. Thank you so much for working so hard on this...you are appreciated."
• "Wonderful staff and volunteers! Wouldn't replace anyone! Everyone was always in high spirits, very motivational, supportive, positive, encouraging, and loving all in one."
• Instrument instruction: Campers sign up to learn bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, or vocals, and attend lessons in groups of 3-5 students. No musical experience is required and campers are grouped by experience level. We provide instruments for everyone (but campers are welcome to bring their own guitar or bass).
• Band practice: Campers form bands with their peers on the first day of camp, and work together to collaboratively write an original song. Each band works with a female mentor (their "band manager") who provides guidance, encouragement and technical support throughout the songwriting process
• Workshops: Campers attend a different workshop each day, all geared toward self-expression and building confidence, while challenging gender stereotypes and addressing discrimination. Workshops may include Music Herstory, Image & Identity, Songwriting, Self-Defense, Music Business, Live Sound and more.
• Lunchtime Performances: Each day at lunch, camper alumni and volunteers perform for the group, and talk afterward their experience as musicians.
• Fun Activities: Jam sessions, karaoke and open mics, and optional evening outings bring out our playful energy and motivate us throughout the weekend. We let loose, hang out, get to know each other and have a raucous time!
• Showcase: On Sunday afternoon, each band performs its original song at The New Parish, open to friends, family and the general public.
Check out our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) or contact Program and Outreach Coordinator Gabby Miller
Note: This schedule may shift a bit.
Friday May 3rd
9:00 - 10:00 Arrival, welcome, introductions and morning assembly
10:00 - 11:00 Band Formation
11:00 - 1:00 Instrument Instruction
1:00 - 2:00 Lunch with your band
2:00-4:00 Loud Practice
4:00-4:30 Quiet Practice
4:30-6:00 Songwriting workshop
6:00-7:00 Dinner with special guest performance
Saturday May 4
9:00-10:00 Morning assembly & breakfast
10:00-12:30 Instrument instruction
12:30-1:30 Lunch with live guest performance
1:30-3:30 Loud practice
5:30-6:00 Quiet practice
7:00-8:00 Loud practice
8:00-9:00 Showcase set-up and dress rehearsal
Sunday May 5
9:00-10:00 Morning assembly, breakfast
10:00-11:00 Loud practice
11:00-12:00 Quiet practice/salon/band photos
12:00-1:00 Lunch, depart for showcase
2:00-3:00 Showcase at The New Parish
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT BAY AREA GIRLS ROCK CAMP
• Interested in volunteering at Women's Rock Camp? Find out more on our volunteer page.
• If you are unable to attend Women's Rock Camp, but want to support our programs, or if you would like to pay for someone to attend Women's Rock Camp as a gift, please contact Program and Outreach Coordinator Gabby Miller. You can also call us at (510) 267 1808.
SHOUTOUT! YOU ROCK!
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is a nonprofit dedicated to empowering girls through music, promoting an environment that fosters self-confidence, creativity and collaboration.